Monday 15 June 2015

Lucky Trev


I am a lucky guy. The last 12 months have been a bit of an awakening.

To be confronting mortality means that I constantly need to consider today and aim for tomorrow. I hug tighter, I talk deeper, I love harder, I laugh more heartily. More than I ever have before. I am privileged to have had this awakening.

It's not a spiritual awakening, it's a rational one. I reckon many of us don't have this. We carry on with our daily lives one day after another. It s bit like going through the motions, taking things for granted. Those disagreements we have about the stupidest little things, why. It's OK to have them, but bounce away from them as he quick as you can. No ones fault, just accept and move on. I've always had trouble with that one, but still working on it.

I urge you to take my lead. Your life and the lives of your loved ones are so precious, and short. Go home tonight, hug the kids for no reason except that you can. No need to go overboard, a simple hug, a touch, a look, a laugh, a few words. They might giggle and push you away, laugh harder at that, giggle more, hug more. Tell them you love them, every day. Corny? Yeah it is, but so what? Important and meaningful? My f*&#$en oath.

I get to hug my wife and kids every day, to tell them I love them, to laugh and giggle and listen and talk. More than I ever had before. How privileged am I to be in this situation and to be able to do that. Very privileged, very lucky.

I am proud to be heading into my 12 months anniversary since diagnosis and still be here. The have been many times when I didn't expect to make it, but I have, and hopefully heading in a good direction for now. And tomorrow I will hug and kiss and love and laugh, as tomorrow is certainly another wonderful day. And you should as well, really.
Love.
Trev.


No comments:

Post a Comment