Sunday 16 August 2015

Emotional Fitness

What an awesome week and weekend. Getting somewhat used to the 1-thing-a-day thing, where I rest up for all day to spend the couple of hours up and doing something, and then crashing after. Hard to get used to, but with the fatigue from the accumulated reaction to the weed-killer that's at the moment the new normal. Nothing on Mondays-Wednesdays, then 1 thing a day for the other days.

So that's the body, now for the mind. Reading a recent piece on emotional fitness, found some interesting points.

  1. The key to emotional fitness is self-awareness - when you have time to sit and consider, analyse, and you are pragmatic enough to do so, you can give some estimations of where you are at, the good bits and the not so good bits. That's a start, the recognition and awareness.
  2. Emotions are a filter that shape what we see and how we evaluate - when I am in my dark days, i see things from that perspective, when in my good days, well, you know!  Its also a little about emotional intelligence and how we behave and how it impacts others. How we treat others for instance, how we react to others behaviours.
  3. Emotions are contagious - if I am expressing the dark side, then that's what I get back. I don't really want a bunch of Darth Vaders coming at me, so its important that I don't spend too much time in the dark side, but give in to the FORCE!
  4. Constant reflection - Getting into the habit of looking and evaluating and reflecting on things. I reckon I am overly reflective sometimes, but really like looking back, analysing, predicting.
This article was related to coaching, but was a good few thoughts to look at and spend some time about how I go with each of these. Am I emotionally fit, maybe, sometimes, but its a constant for all of us I reckon. Reflection, self awareness, EQ, all good things to continually look at and review for ourselves and maybe even those around us.

So today I got to Ethan's footy, a great final home and away game of the year and finished with a good win ready for next weeks finals. Great lunch with a couple of sensational footy mates during the week, Piers and Luke, photo below, awesome time. And last night had a rare night out for our footy fundraising night, was a great night, and was very proud to be named a life member of the St Ives AFL club, very proud, very special.




So still on a bit of a high tonite, what a great few days. Feeling thrilled, but very, very beat. Today was a good day, as were the last few days, and although tomorrow is chemo day, tomorrow is always another day, and I always look forward to that.
Love.
Trev.

No comments:

Post a Comment