Tuesday 6 October 2015

The Trouble with the Curve

Love my Clint Eastwood movies, have you seen this one, "Trouble with the Curve"? It's a good one, a baseball movie referring to the curve ball. Well my curve I am talking about is somewhat different, but onto that later. First things, the Grand Final weekend.

The weekend was awesome. To catch anyone up, Jane and I went to Melbourne to goto the GF after receiving an award from NSW AFL. Firstly on Thursday we caught up with great friends Dave, Michelle, Wilke and Monet. Then Friday we attended a ceremony at Government House to receive the award, met up with Gill and Mike (AFL people will know that these guys are reasonably important in AFL circles), then walked in the GF parade, fantastic to see Gabe and then Mic and Ali along the way. Then went to Marngrook, met host. Grant. That was simply a great day, words could not explain the high I was on after that day, and still are, so many great things, great feelings, and to share the most of it with the love of my life. Then off to the GF, and then met up with great friends Maree, Duncan and Claire before flying home.

What a weekend, just stoked. This is what life is about, creating shared memories. My wife and kids could clearly see how I enjoyed the weekend. Hopefully they shared some of that joy though me too. Real big thanks to the AFL for hosting the trip and having me along, the NITV guys for getting me VIP seats at Marngrook and organising the meetup with host Grant.

GF, Go Swans???? 
Me, Jane, Duncan, Maree and Claire

GF Parade, thanks Ali and Mic


Mike Fitzpatrick
Gillion McLoughlin

Marngrook, Host Grant
So some medical stuff now. Had my progress CT scan last Wednesday, but told them I didn't want my results till I got back and had my regular onco appointment yesterday, Tuesday. I have been doing progress scan about every 8 weeks which checks about 9 of the larger tumours. The last scan showed an average 15% reduction! the previous an average 21% reduction. Both great. Now for the "trouble with the curve".

The trouble is that it is a curve. Yesterday's results showed no further reduction In any of the tumours, in fact small growth in a couple of them. So we knew this time was coming, but we had hoped that it was some time off, that the current protocol would continue to reduce the cancer and get it to a point which made it easier to manage, get back off some of the pain meds. But that's not the case. There is plenty that we don't know, one is whether the current protocol will continue to hold the cancer for a while, or not. So we will continue the current protocol for now, and I expect will do a scan sooner rather than later to then see whats next.

From what I understand the further protocols are about maintenance rather than reduction, so the way I see it we are at the bottom of that curve now. We now look to stay at this point for as long as we can, but finding this a hard one to come to terms with, having a couple of days of thought and reflection on what it means.

So the current protocol may hold the cancer for a while, or may not. The next protocol may then hold it, or may not. Their may be some other protocol in test now that may come up soon. There may be some clinical trials on the way that I can jump into, and may have some success with that, or of course, may not. Might need a couple of days to think through this one.

So, I know where I am, I know we are at the bottom of the curve, but taking it 1 day at a time, and tomorrow is still, always, another day.

Love.
Trev.



No comments:

Post a Comment