Monday 30 November 2015

Chemo Day

Sitting down on Sunday night thinking about tomorrows chemo. Do you know anyone that has been through, or is going through chemotherapy? Just some thoughts about what to take with you, what works for me.
  1. Bring with you a good attitude - I am known at the SAN for my collection of Hawaiian shirts. It all really started as I need to wear button up shirts so they can access my Port,  and the only button ups are either business shirts, or my collection of colourful Hawaiian shorts. But it drives my attitude  it brings smile to mine and others faces. If I am going to be there, I might as well enjoy myself. Check your attitude, chat to the nurses, just go with it.
  2. Water - bring a bottle of water, the hospital will be able to supply, but be well hydrated. If you are being accessed through a vein in the arm, then need to drink lots to make it easier.
  3. Emla patch - if you are going in through a port, then ask the nurses for an Emla patch, put it on an hour before and it deadens the skin for the HUGE needle they shove into you.
  4. Something to do - I have my chemo series that I watch, only at chemo. Remember the series Kung Fu. I'm right into it, its calming, and gets me through, funny heh? But whether its a book, puzzles, magazine, music, iPad with movie, whatever gets you through the day. Something that takes your mid off the big needle dropping the weed killer into your body is a good thing. If you are taking iPad or movies, then dont forget your headphones.
  5. Meds - make sure you aren't caught short if you are there for a while. You are able to mix in your normal pain meds, just check with the onco first.
  6. Fruit Tingles - good for when the metallic taste thing kicks in, they seem to jump start the taste buds in a way. Although you probably wont find any in the St Ives area, as I have bought out most of the local shops supplies.
  7. A friend - some like to have someone sit with them during the session. I notice some people have the same loved one each time, others have a roster of friends that come along. I actually like drifting off into the life of Kane, wandering the earth helping people. Its whatever is best for you, whatever gets you through. Maybe vary it all.
  8. Bring it - to add to number 1 with the attitude, just bring it. Bring your sense of humour and laugh a little with the nurses. Bring your faith in your medical team. Bring your fierce determination to survive, keep that one with you. 
Getting yourself in the right mindset for chemo is another topic, but bringing the attitude is important.

So been a great week. Good to catch up with Jillan, Paul and Dave. Had a blast at some great friends wedding, caught up with a few other good mates there as well, what a great night to be part of. Also good to continue watching E do well at Footy, hoping the season never ends!

 

So as we got to Sunday arvo it all caught up with me a bit, missed out on the street chrissy party with a well earned doze on the lounge. Back to chemo on Monday morning. Looking forward to another fun week ahead, and tomorrow is always another day.
Love.
Trev.


No comments:

Post a Comment