Sunday 3 May 2015

What was that word again?

My parents are both still in pretty good health (better than me really, the buggars), but as dad is now over 90 there times when he loses a few words. We look everywhere but rarely find them, they are just lost!

During the chemo treatment many people have talked about "chemo-brain". It seems to have a lot of the symptoms of oldtimers. Forgetfulness, focus, clarity, short term memory, and add to that mental fatigue.

My role at work involves running workshops, meetings, up front of loads of people. A key part of it is the focus, the keeping on track, thinking on your feet. I am concerned, as some of the things that I suffer from as a result of chemo-brain directly affect the things that I need for my work, the things I am, or was, good at.

I lose words, I get off track easily, I find it hard to focus, I tire very easily. You might think that we all suffer from these things, that's true to an extent. The issue for me is the difference between what was, and what is, and I notice it. It concerns me for sure, but really, what will be will be. It wont stop me from having a crack, getting back into it and seeing what happens. I am lucky that I have some great work colleagues who I am sure, positive, will be understanding and help me through it.

Read an article today about chemo-brain which explains it well and brought it back into my thinking.
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/cause-chemo-brain-discovered

I am coping really well at the moment, mind is still really strong, body not quite keeping up. Jane turned 50 last week, we had some fun with cakes and dinners, was great. I am starting to plan stuff past next week, feel a new lease on life. Heading to Melbourne next weekend with Ethan to watch some footy, have a boys weekend. Should be great.

Tomorrow is always another day.
Love.
Trev.


No comments:

Post a Comment