Monday 27 July 2015

Carrying on

Hey there, still riding the roller coaster, good days, not so good days. Had my big chemo day yesterday so slept badly from the steroids, and feeling dusty from the chemo. Its an interesting thing that when I am on the downhill run later in the week I convince myself that I can do anything, as long as its working that I can do it and get through it. But on the bad days, the chemo days and the following few I wonder sometimes how long I can keep doing it. But we carry on.

Last week I had a glitch, had a blockage in my stoma. I think it was overdosing on KFC that did it. So started about 7pm on Wednesday night as the pain began. I am pretty good at recognising it, and usually when I have a bit of a block I have been able to free it. Water, Movicol, and moving around, squats behind the couch, twisting around, it gets the insides moving and has always worked to free whatever potential block i have had. However, this time it didnt work. More Panadeine Forte, some Endone, Movicol, more Movicol, lots of pacing and moving.

By 2am (now Thursday of course) I could take it no longer, woke Jane and off we went to the SAN. Triaged immediately, into the bed, didn't bother accessing the port as it would have taken 5-10 mins to get it all sorted, so straight into the vein and in went the Morphine. Some more Morphine, and then simply saline drip, and then after a few hours it freed up and blockage was cleared. The admitted me for the day and went home around 4pm that arvo. Pain has been my kryptonite all along, its something I remember and avoid like anything, and once it is there its hard to get rid of. I hate the Morphine, but man did it do the trick.

All the medical staff was awesome at the SAN. But it was interesting that the emergency nurses were concerned about my rash, whether it was infectious. This is the rash that the chemo drug gives me, that I have multiple pills and creams to keep it under control. You go into the cancer ward or the infusion centre and no one bats an eyelid, but they all have their specialties, so no issue with that.

Over the weekend my Junior AFL club participated in the #iknowsome1 campaign with the Jodi Lee Foundation about Bowel Cancer Awareness. So proud of the players and parents and officials that embraced this and was a great day. It was simply awesome to help drive this and hopefully a few more people do their bowel screen tests and check themselves out. Early detection.






So washed out for a couple of days, but all good and clear. So now will rest up for another day or 2 and then back to a few coffees and catchups and stuff around the house, and spending time with the fam, as tomorrow is always another day.
Love.
Trev.


No comments:

Post a Comment