Sunday 13 September 2015

I'm not tired, really I'm not

The cancer related fatigue is one that I have been trying to explain for some time, but still don't reckon I have explained it well. Over the last month or so I have been really fatigued, one of the reasons they say may be the accumulated effect of the chemo. But how to explain what that means.

Fatigue in usually from activity, overuse perhaps. If you are tired, usually a good nights sleep will at least help relieve it. In the case of the cancer related fatigue, a good nights sleep doesn't cut it. Its a  real lack of energy, whole body tiredness is how I have heard it described. Its acute, its chronic, its exhaustion, and it doesn't really go away. It may be from the disease, or the treatment, it can come on quickly and be extremely debilitating.

For some reason this weekend has been pretty bad, spent most of the last couple of days on the couch. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I don't, but its hard to function normally, to get up and get a drink. In the last month i have found I can help plan for it. I don't plan anything on the chemo day and the few days following, and then for later in the week i just make sure that I only plan to do 1 thing per day, 1 catchup, and can usually get myself up for that. After that, it tends to kick in and I am back on the lounge or in bed. But still working out how to manage that in a normal week, but this weekend has hit a little harder. Maybe I overdid it this week, or maybe its something else, I don't know. Got to get this right and pace it.

However, got to Cassie's netball Grand Final on Saturday, and Ethan's AFL presentation day today, in both cases, planned for it and got through it pretty well. We didn't win the GF, but Ethan received a runner up B&F award, congrats to both.

Loved catching up with Deb, Dicky, Healz, Fincha, and the St Ives AFL Old Boys. (Yep, probably over did it this week by the sound of it). Heading back in for chemo tomorrow, have an early appointment so better try and get some sleep eh. Try and wake up and enjoy the day chatting with the nurses, as tomorrow is always another day.

Love.
Trev.


Healz had left, should I superimpose him on?

No comments:

Post a Comment