Saturday 21 February 2015

Staring at Strangers

I often find myself staring at strangers wondering, wondering about what their problems of the world are. Are they well, are they sick, how would you know? Sometimes at the shops when I see people stressing about some piddly things I feel like going up to them and telling them not to worry, there are other things more important to worry about than running a few minutes late, or your kid hanging onto the shopping trolley, believe me, there is.

Why the old folk sometimes think they own illness, or why do some people see illness and frailty as the exclusive domain of the elderly? The number of times at the shops at St Ives I have had oldies just simply push in front of me at the line at Bakers. Maybe they think the bread is running out, or is it that they think they are just more important than this young fit fella.

Sitting at the pharmacy the other day waiting for a script, I wasn't well, the world was spinning, my bag was full, I needed my meds and wanted to get home to have them. The ladies in the pharmacy sorted the script for the 2 oldies that came in after me before they did mine. Obviously they were more important than me, or were they sicker then me, or what? I was pretty pissed. I regard myself as a generous fella, but....

Do I have to lift my shirt up and show them the scar, and the bag? Do I need to quote my medical history each time I arrive at some place? Instead I get cranky, I speak up and tell them, peacefully, logically, tactfully, and accurately. Some get it, some don't. Those that don't try and justify their position and view, but the logic just doesn't hold water. So, North Turramurra Pharmacy, lift your game, your thoughts on priority customers are misguided and wrong.

Tomorrow is always another day.
Trev.


No comments:

Post a Comment