Monday 23 February 2015

Plan B

Well plan B of chemo did not quite go according to plan. Went in there with high hopes, ready for a good normal day of infusion. Wore my favourite red Hawaiian shirt for my 50th birthday. Everyone checking my details wishing me a happy birthday, Doc Josie, Janice, Pricilla, Debbie, Jenny, plus others all wished me the best with some good jokes and banter, I love the banter, I love the chats, love the happy smiling and giggling, it's awesome.

As the first drug, Erbitux, started going in I had a bad case of rash, itching, lips felt swollen, constricting in the throat. I held on, Jane held my hand, I persisted. This one has to work, so I have to last it out. It got to a point where I couldn't bear it, called over the nurse. It was great to see how quickly those nurses clicked into action to stop the infusion, start a flush, call the onco. Immediate relief.

But my concern is what that meant. Did it mean I could no longer do the infusion, did this mean I had already burned plan B? But they all assured me no, it's just a hump, and after some tears and consoling and assurance they pumped me with phenergan and I pretty much closed my eyes and dozed off straight away, and then over the course of the next 5 hours they proceeded to get all the chemo drugs into me whilst I was pretty much spaced out. True to their word, their assurances, we got thru.

Obviously I felt pretty ordinary for the rest of they go day and evening, but we have got thru the first bit of plan B. Tick that box. Hopefully can feel better later in the week and it all goes again next Monday. Can't wait. Well not really, I am happy to wait, or not, really not sure.

So happy birthday to me. Yesterday on Feb 23, 2015, I made 50, now that's a milestone isn't it? What a better present than to get thru what is hopefully the drug combo to keep me ticking for a lot longer. I'm happy with that. Oh, along with the family pie, cheesecake, white chocolate heart and chocolate flower arrangement thingy, all the cards, the texts, the emails, the FB posts, all the love of my family, well, they were all pretty good too. Thanks. No really, thanks heaps.

Today I might still feel a bit ordinary, but tomorrow is always another day.
Trev.

1 comment: