Friday 2 January 2015

Chemo for Trev - 1. What is Chemo

What is chemo? What a big question. Well this varies, varies from the type, the effects, the side effects and the delivery. Chemo is chemical therapy designed to kill the fast multiplying cells, hopefully mostly the cancer cells, but sometimes others like hair for instance. To give you some idea of MY chemo...

Chemo is rarely 1 drug, most is a regime of drugs each with there own value and effect. I am on a standard early bowel cancer chemo regime of FOLFOX6 + Avastin. The FOLFOX is an acronym for the 3 main chemo drugs, the Avastin is another drug that is used to stop the growth of blood vessels, which will hopefully stop the growth of the tumours.

The delivery can range from infusion to oral medication. The dosage is determined by the regime. In my case, I am on a fortnightly infusion. This means that every second Monday I head up to the SAN. I head to the infusion centre on level 3 of the new building where they take my bloods. I then head to my oncologist, Josie, who checks my bloods and how I am going, if all ok then he gives me the go ahead to get the infusion so I head back to the infusion centre and away we go.

So that's the basis of it, make sense?

Tomorrow is always another day.
Trev.

No comments:

Post a Comment