Tuesday 27 January 2015

You're only as sick as you feel

This last week has been great, the best since this whole thing started. Took Lyssa to the airport and had brekky. Went to E's Academy Induction at the SCG. Got a romantic brekky in with wifey in at Cockle Bay, trip to Newcastle way to pickup E and also pickup our new dog. Then a 50th on Sat night, and an Oz day BBQ on Monday. Most we have done for ages, was sensational. This was my best week 2 in the chemo cycle.

Chemo is a bitch. On my fortnightly cycle, I have my chemo on Monday and for around about 6 or 7 days I am pretty non functional. Fatigued, nauseous, aches, cramps. Then on day 7 or 8 of the fortnightly cycle it all turns around. I feel nearly normal for the week. Certainly a little fatigued from the meds, but near normal.

There are 2 sides to this. Firstly it's great to feel near normals for that week. I can take back some control of my life, have some fun, quality time with friends and family. The flip side is it's clearly hard for people to see how bad I am in that first week and the times when dealing with the illness and the pain. My lovely wife and children see it, and they are the best in ensuring I am as comfortable in every way. They also have to suffer my groans and grumbles.

So in the second week, it's good. I am doing more stuff, and sometimes, just on the odd occasion, I nearly forget that I am sick. Can that be? Because you're only as sick as you feel.

Tomorrow is always another day.
Trev.

PS, our new best friend, Sapphire.


No comments:

Post a Comment