Saturday 3 January 2015

Chemo for Trev - 2. Infusion

The infusion is the delivery. Firstly, level 3 in the SAN, check in, meet the nurses (best part), sit down in their new, comfy recliners. First thing I do is locate the control, feet up, head back, ahhhh. Comfy now nurse, hit me.

The infusion for me is thru a Portocath. This is a 20c sized thing that was put in some time ago, it has a silicon bubble in the middle which is then connected thru a tube to a main vein direct to the heart. This means when I go in for the infusion they put 1 needle thru the skin and into my Portocath, and all my infusion is done thru that. All the different chemo drugs as well as a number of flushes like glucose others are all hooked up and then switched between during the day.

 I am there for the infusion all up from somewhere from 4-8 hours, just depends. I then get a bottle of another chemo drug, 5FU is what is is known as, and carry that in a dilly bag around my neck and it is pumped in for the next 48 hours. If I didn't have the Portocath then this would be difficult, I would have needles and lines coming from various catheters and all sorts, so it's a pretty amazing thing. Google it, it's fascinating. They put it in and take it out under general, so once it's there I live with a big lump under my skin, but easy to deal with I reckon. Whenever I have someone come in with me for the unhook I rave about it, great invention. I had a nephew that went thru treatment for leukemia many years ago. He had a central line that was always getting infected, this is sooooo much better.

The nurses in the infusion centre I reckon are used to the anxious, concerned, sick, and so on. Nurses by definition are a wonderful bunch. The infusion nurses are very very special. Love me all.

Tomorrow is always another day.
Trev.

No comments:

Post a Comment