Tuesday 13 January 2015

I'll pray for you.

Let me start with stating A couple of things:

  1. I am a card carrying non believer, but I respect your right to believe in your faith.
  2. If your god has had some interest in me getting this cancer thing, I think that gives me a legitimate reason to pass comment on this issue.
  3. If you have any play with your deity, then I am very happy that you put in a good word for me.

On a recent FB post where one of my cancer buddies is not in a good way, lots of posts of people posting "I'll pray for you", or "you are in my prayers". This is awesome. Even for a non spiritual person, this is sensational. It has so much more meaning than the religious one. Simply put, to me, it means I am in your thoughts, you are hoping that it all works out well, you are providing me emotional support, it's nearly like I can feel you wishes, it's awesome, so keep them coming, I am happy to accept. It is your faith, and I am so happy that irrespective of my beliefs, you think enough of me to help out where you can to support me. Thanks.

On the other side, I noted a post on one of my cancer buddies FB, the initial post from the cancer sufferer was about running out of chemo options. He had days to live, weak, posting was done by family. Many responses about thoughts, wishes, prayers, love. But one post went to their faith, and was something in the ballpark of  "don't give up, god will provide, miracles do happen, all you have to do is believe and have faith".  I found this very disrespectful, and denying the sufferers own faith and beliefs in favour of their own.

Pray for me by all means, I get that. But don't preach to me. I have my own beliefs, please respect them.

Tomorrow is always another day.
Trev.

No comments:

Post a Comment